1. TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
Welcome to UM Charles Regional Medical Center’s Web site and Online Services, an online information and communications service provided by UM Charles Regional Medical Center, subject to your agreement with all of these terms and conditions. UM Charles Regional may modify these terms and conditions at any time, and such modifications shall be effective immediately upon posting the modified terms and conditions on UM Charles Regional Online Services. You agree to review the agreement periodically to be aware of such modifications, and your accessing or using the service constitutes your acceptance of the agreement as it appears at the time of your access or use. From time to time UM Charles Regional may offer Web site visitors the opportunity to participate in additional features or services through UM Charles Regional Online Services. You may be required to enter into additional agreements or authorizations before you can access such features or services.
2. MEDICAL EMERGENCIES
ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR ALL HEALTH ISSUES, PARTICULARLY THOSE OF AN URGENT NATURE, AND UM CHARLES REGIONAL MAKES NO GUARANTEE OF ANY PARTICULAR RESPONSE TIME TO ANY INQUIRY YOU MAY MAKE. ACCORDINGLY, IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, YOU SHOULD NOT RELY ON THIS WEB SITE FOR ASSISTANCE, BUT SHOULD INSTEAD SEEK APPROPRIATE EMERGENCY MEDICAL ASSISTANCE.
Who Will Follow This Notice
This notice describes UM Charles Regional Medical Center's practices and that of: any health care professional authorized to enter information into your hospital chart; all facilities, departments and units of UM Charles Regional Medical Center; any member of a volunteer group we allow to help you while you are in the hospital; and all employees, staff and other hospital personnel.
UM Charles Regional’s Pledge Regarding Medical Information
UM Charles Regional Medical Center (hereinafter referred to as UM Charles Regional), understands that medical information about you and your health is personal. We are committed to protecting medical information about you. We create a record of the care and services you receive at the hospital. We need this record to provide you with quality care and to comply with certain legal requirements. This notice applies to all of the records of your care generated by the hospital, whether made by hospital personnel or your personal doctor. Your personal doctor may have different policies or notices regarding the doctor's use and disclosure of your medical information created in the doctor's office or clinic. This notice will tell you about the ways in which UM Charles Regional may use and disclose medical information about you. We also describe your rights and certain obligations we have regarding the use and disclosure of medical information.
We are required by law to:
How UM Charles Regional May Use and Disclose Medical Information About You
The following categories describe different ways that UM Charles Regional uses and discloses medical information. For each category of uses or disclosures we will explain what we mean and try to give some examples. Not every use or disclosure in a category will be listed. However, all of the ways UM Charles Regional is permitted to use and disclose information will fall within one of the categories.
Your Rights Regarding Medical Information About You
You have the following rights regarding medical information we maintain about you:
Changes to the Notice
We reserve the right to change this notice. We reserve the right to make the revised or changed notice effective for medical information we already have about you, as well as any information we receive in the future. We will post a copy of the current notice in the hospital. The notice will contain the effective date. In addition, each time you register at or are admitted to the hospital for treatment or health care services as an inpatient or outpatient, we will offer you a copy of the current notice in effect.
If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with the hospital or with the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. To file a complaint with the hospital, contact the Performance Improvement Department, phone 301.609.4310. All complaints must be submitted in writing. You will not be penalized for filing a complaint.
Other Uses of Medical Information
Other uses and disclosures of medical information not covered by this notice or the laws that apply to us will be made only with your written permission. If you provide us permission to use or disclose medical information about you, you may revoke that permission, in writing, at any time. If you revoke your permission, we will no longer use or disclose medical information about you for the reasons covered by your written authorization. You understand that we are unable to take back any disclosures we have already made with your permission, and that we are required to retain our records of the care that we provided to you.
This security of any data you submit via this site is very important to us. This site uses encryption technology, and we constantly review our security practices to help ensure that your data is maintained securely. However, no system can perfectly guard against risks of intentional intrusion or inadvertent disclosure of information sent to us. Moreover, when you transmit information via the Internet, your information will be transmitted over a medium that is beyond our control, and therefore the security of the transmission may be compromised before it reaches us. Accordingly, UM Charles Regional makes no guarantee as to confidentiality or security. IN ADDITION, YOU HEREBY EXPRESSLY AND SOLELY ASSUME THE RISK OF ANY UNAUTHORIZED DISCLOSURE OR INTENTIONAL INTRUSION, OR OF ANY DELAY, FAILURE, INTERRUPTION OR CORRUPTION OF DATA OR OTHER INFORMATION TRANSMITTED IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE OF UM CHARLES REGIONAL ONLINE SERVICES. Your user name and password should be kept confidential. Failure to do so may also compromise the confidentiality of your information.
5. NO WARRANTIES
YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT UM CHARLES REGIONAL ONLINE SERVICES AND ANY SERVICES, CONTENT OR INFORMATION CONTAINED ON OR PROVIDED BY UM CHARLES REGIONAL ONLINE SERVICES IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS. UM CHARLES REGIONAL DOES NOT MAKE ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR ENDORSEMENTS WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF TITLE OR NONINFRINGEMENT, OR THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE) WITH REGARD TO THE SERVICE OR ANY MERCHANDISE, INFORMATION OR SERVICE PROVIDED THROUGH THE SERVICE. IN ADDITION, UM CHARLES REGIONAL DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT USE OF UM CHARLES REGIONAL ONLINE SERVICES WILL BE FREE FROM TECHNOLOGICAL DIFFICULTIES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, UNAVAILABILITY OF INFORMATION, DOWNTIME, SERVICE DISRUPTIONS, VIRUSES OR WORMS AND YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IMPLEMENTING SUFFICIENT PROCEDURES AND CHECKPOINTS TO SATISFY YOUR PARTICULAR REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCURACY OF DATA INPUT AND OUTPUT.
6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
THE USE OF THIS SERVICE IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IN NO EVENT SHALL UM CHARLES REGIONAL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, OR ANY OTHER MONETARY OR OTHER DAMAGES, FEES, FINES, PENALTIES, OR LIABILITIES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING IN ANY WAY TO THIS SERVICE, OR SITES ACCESSED THROUGH THIS SERVICE, AND/OR CONTENT OR INFORMATION PROVIDED HEREIN. YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE SERVICE IS TO STOP USING THE SERVICE.
7. USER AGREEMENTS
You agree that you will not:
1. Upload or transmit any communications or content of any type that may infringe or violate any rights of any party;
2. Use this Web site for any purpose in violation of local, state, national or international laws;
3. Use this site as a means to distribute advertising or other unsolicited material to any third party;
4. Use this Web site to post or transmit material that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, slanderous, hateful or embarrassing to any other person or entity;
5. Attempt to disable, "hack" or otherwise interfere with the proper functioning of this Web site.
8. DISCONTINUANCE OF SERVICES
UM Charles Regional Online Services is being provided by UM Charles Regional as a courtesy to you, and reserves the right to modify, discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this site, or any part thereof, at any time, with or without notice. In addition, your access to the site may be discontinued at any time if you violate the terms of this agreement or if we determine, for any other reason, that it is no longer appropriate for you to have access to the site.
9. Copyright and Trademark Information
The content and design of UM Charles Regional Online Services are protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. You may not copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, display, transmit, or frame any of these materials without prior written consent from the copyright owners, except that you may view, download, display and print a single copy of these materials on a single computer for personal, noncommercial use only, so long as: (1) you do not alter or modify the materials in any way; (2) you include all applicable notices and disclaimers (including copyright notices); and (3) you do not use the materials in a way that suggests an association with UM Charles Regional or an affiliated UM Charles Regional entity. You understand and agree that title to these materials shall not pass to you or any other user.
10. Social Media Policy
1. If you are a UM Charles Regional employee you must adhere to the UM Charles Regional MEDIA AND SOCIAL NETWORKING POLICY posted on the UM Charles Regional Intranet site.
2. You must be at least 18 years old to post any content on any UM Charles Regional Social Media Site.
3. You are prohibited from posting any content that is personal health information including patient images on any UM Charles Regional Social Media Site. You are also prohibited from using the UM Charles Regional Social Media Site to provide medical advice or medical commentary by non-UM Charles Regional physicians or to use the UM Charles Regional Social Media Site to make, recommend or increase referrals to physicians who are not employed by UM Charles Regional.
4. As a guest posting content to any UM Charles Regional Social Media Site on the internet, you agree that you will not: violate any local, state, federal and international laws and regulations, including but not limited to copyright and intellectual property rights laws regarding any content that you send or receive via this Policy; transmit any material (by uploading, posting, email or otherwise) that is unlawful, disruptive, threatening, profane, abusive, harassing, embarrassing, tortuous, defamatory, obscene, libelous, or is an invasion of another's privacy, is hateful or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable as solely determined in UM Charles Regional’s discretion; impersonate any person or entity or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity; transmit any material (by uploading, posting, email or otherwise) that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships; transmit any material (by uploading, posting, email or otherwise) that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party; transmit (by uploading, posting, email or otherwise) any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising (including advertising of non UM Charles Regional services or products), promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation; transmit any material (by uploading, posting, email or otherwise) that contains software viruses, worms, disabling code, or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment; harass another; or collect or store, or attempt to collect or store, personal data about third parties without their knowledge or consent; or to share confidential pricing information of any party.
5. UM Charles Regional reserves the right to monitor, prohibit, restrict, block, suspend, terminate, delete, or discontinue your access to any UM Charles Regional Social Media Site, at any time, without notice and for any reason and in its sole discretion. UM Charles Regional may remove, delete, block, filter or restrict by any other means any materials in UM Charles Regional’s sole discretion. You understand and agree that UM Charles Regional may disclose your communications and activities with UM Charles Regional in response to lawful requests by governmental authorities, including Patriot Act requests, judicial orders, warrants or subpoenas, or for the protection of UM Charles Regional rights. You agree that in the event that UM Charles Regional exercises any of its rights hereunder for any reason, UM Charles Regional will have no liability to you.
6. By posting any content on any UM Charles Regional Social Media Site, you grant to UM Charles Regional the irrevocable right to reproduce, distribute, publish, display such content and the right to create derivative works from your content, edit or modify such content and use such content for any UM Charles Regional purpose.
7. You shall defend, indemnify, and hold UM Charles Regional and its corporate affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents, successors and assigns harmless from and against, and shall promptly reimburse them for, any and all losses, claims, damages, settlements, costs, and liabilities of any nature whatsoever (including reasonable attorneys' fees) to which any of them may become subject arising out of, based upon, as a result of, or in any way connected with, your posting of any content to a UM Charles Regional Social Media Site, any third party claims of infringement or any breach of this Policy.
8. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU ASSUME ALL RESPONSIBILITY RELATED TO THE SECURITY, PRIVACY, AND CONFIDENTIALITY RISKS INHERENT IN SENDING ANY CONTENT OVER THE INTERNET. BY ITS VERY NATURE, A WEBSITE AND THE INTERNET CANNOT BE ABSOLUTELY PROTECTED AGAINST INTENTIONAL OR MALICIOUS INTRUSION ATTEMPTS. UM CHARLES REGIONAL DOES NOT CONTROL THE THIRD PARTY SITES AND THE INTERNET OVER WHICH YOU MAY CHOOSE TO SEND CONFIDENTIAL PERSONAL OR HEALTH INFORMATION OR OTHER CONTENT AND, THEREFORE, UM CHARLES REGIONAL DOES NOT WARRANT ANY SAFEGUARD AGAINST ANY SUCH INTERCEPTIONS OR COMPROMISES TO YOUR INFORMATION. WHEN POSTING ANY CONTENT ON AN INTERNET SITE, YOU SHOULD THINK CAREFULLY ABOUT YOUR OWN PRIVACY IN DISCLOSING DETAILED OR PRIVATE INFORMATION ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY. FURTHERMORE, UM CHARLES REGIONAL DOES NOT ENDORSE ANY PRODUCT, SERVICE, VIEWS OR CONTENT DISPLAYED ON THE UM CHARLES REGIONAL SOCIAL MEDIA SITE.
9. You agree that any claim or dispute relating to your posting of any content on a UM Charles Regional Social Media Site on the internet shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Maryland without regard to its conflict of laws provisions and you agree to be bound and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the local, state or federal courts located in Charles County, Maryland.
10. You may not provide any content to a UM Charles Regional Social Media Site that contains any product or service endorsements or any content that may be construed as political lobbying, solicitations or contributions or use the UM Charles Regional Social Media Site to link to any sites or political candidates or parties or use the UM Charles Regional Social Media Site to discuss political campaigns, issues or for taking a position on any legislation or law.
11. THIS POLICY MAY BE UPDATED AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE, AND EACH TIME A USER ACCESSES A UM CHARLES REGIONAL SOCIAL NETWORKING SITE, THE NEW POLICY WILL GOVERN, USAGE, EFFECTIVE UPON POSTING. To remain in compliance, UM Charles Regional suggests that you review the Policy, as well as the other website policies, at regular intervals. By continuing to post any content after such new terms are posted, you accept and agree to any and all such modifications to this Policy.